livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Dealing with deer?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Dealing with deer?
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 08:57:05 -0400

At 03:55 PM 4/1/2008, you wrote:
Hi All,

I'm up against the Big Munch. Any advice?

I lose substantial amounts to deer every year. Other than several large loud dogs, the only thing I've found that works for sure is fencing, the six-foot plastic stuff on metal fence posts, but darn, it's expensive.

Someone in a gardening group I'm in mentioned that she strings three rows of nylon fishing line around the whole garden and fastens big jingle bells on the lines at intervals. The deer can't see the line at night, and when they bump into it, the bells sound and startle them. They don't seem to make a connection between hitting the line, and the sound of the bells and she said it does a good job of spooking them. I'm going to try it this year in the new section I'm clearing now. The big jingle bells are easily available at craft stores year round.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com