livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] starting plants

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pumpkin Lady <pumpkin@xanadoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] starting plants
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 21:25:14 -0500

Dean wrote:
We got so tied up in everything we did not get our seeds (tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, etc) started for the garden. Is it too late to do start them now or should we bite the bullet and buy plants when they come avaialble commercially. Dean

That depends on where you are and how long your growing season is.

I got peppers started, but tomatoes just went into germination trays yesterday. If I was direct seeding them(which I don't because it's too dry here), I wouldn't plant for another two weeks. Since my growing season is very long (and since the nurseries never have much in the way of heirloom veggie plants), I don't feel like it's too late. I don't do cabbage, so no clue. Squash(winter) can go in the ground any time from the middle of this month until about June and still mature by first frost date for me.

I have planted cucumbers and summer squash into July and had descent crops. Around here, some people advise ripping up tomatoes after they stop producing in the heat and reseeding them the middle of July. I'd rather carry them over and hope for a few cool days for fruit set in the summer until they start going again in fall, but that's me.

Now all of this was "conventional gardening", but I don't figure no till is THAT much different. ;-)

Take your first frost date, count back to now, and see how many days you've got to play with. Look at your seeds and figure out how much time they need to mature, then decide if it's worth your time.

Happy growing!
Morgan