livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Dealing with deer?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Douglas Willhite" <drwillhite@earthlink.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>, "Harvey Ussery" <boxwood@nelsoncable.com>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Dealing with deer?
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 06:23:17 -0700

Hi Harvey,
We have deer running around here too. They're too cautious to enter our orchard though. Probably too many folks firing guns around here -- myself included! (My veggie gardens are in large raised-bed containers which are mostly inaccessible to the critters.)
I made a decision about five years ago that if the deer became too hard on the orchard I would just eat venison instead of fruit. Haven't seen a deer in the orchard since! Firing a warning shot at the crows about once a year appears to help them remember to keep their distance too. A lot of these critters are amazingly smart and have good memories. Unfortunately I have to trap and kill gophers and squirrels (much as it breaks my heart) otherwise they wreak havoc. I tried transporting them elsewhere with live traps but that just dumps the problem on someone else.
Take care,
Doug