livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Seed Availability/

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "dcoda" <dcoda@volcommunity.org>
  • To: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>, "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Seed Availability/
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 04:40:46 -0600

On a positive note, the University of Arkansas out of Conway has just launched a new program to save traditional Ozark seed. Its headed up by Dr. Brian Campbell. It features a seed bank that supplies growers in exchange for returning 1/3 of the seed to the seed bank, and passing another 1/3 on to others.

I'm one of the seed growers for this program and attended their first seed swap at the Ozark Folk Center last month. There was a great turn out. Folks came in with seeds grown for many years by their families and I picked up a wide variety of seeds I'd never heard of. Some don't really have names ...so and so's melon that's been grown here for generations.

Everyone involved with the program is big on protecting our seed heritage. May be more swapping and less buying in the future????

D'Coda

I just returned from the local Farmers' Market, where one of the vendors told me that their usual seed supplier has quit the seed business in favor of more profitable farming (?).  Anyone else seen this?

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz