livingontheland - [Livingontheland] mites in vermicompost bins

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Dean" <andeanfx@midrivers.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] mites in vermicompost bins
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 22:06:52 -0600

We started our vermicompost bins about a month ago and they are loaded with little off white mites. We were told it was because our bins are acidic but they check about 7.4 to 7.6. Thinking back to Jerry Baker days we we were wonderiing if we could treat the biins with either tobbacco juice or sugar water, we do have a water alkalizer we could use to make alkaline water to rinse theough the bins? Any other ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance Dean