livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Dealing with deer?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "elderberryjam" <elderberryjam@zippytech.com>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Dealing with deer?
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 02:18:12 -0400

"Are there home solutions, not too expensive or time-consuming, that
are working for you?"

Deer do quite a bit of damage to the corn crops here in eastern Ohio. It has been discussed at Farm Bureau meetings numerous times. 6 years ago we put up a run-line for my Newfoundland dog between the woodshed and a wild cherry tree above the garden. She prefers to spend the night outdoors. Between that and planting squash to surround my corn, I didn't have a problem with deer or raccoons last summer; but that was near the house, and my garden is maybe 1/4 an acre. Babysitting a friend's Pembroke Welsh Corgi has also contributed to not only deer staying out of the garden, but also to the goats and sheep staying in the pasture. Small dog, big deeds for the farm.

A nearby blueberry farmer utilizes an Ohio law that permits hunters to hunt out of season for deer damage to crops. There are rules that have to be followed, but he has had some success with this.

Gwen