livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Dealing with deer?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "dcoda" <dcoda@volcommunity.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Dealing with deer?
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 04:22:14 -0600

In this area, deer and rabbits regularly wreck the garden, despite having a
fence up. The main reason is bears. They break the fence down, let the
rabbits in and if I put the fence back up, its likely there are rabbits
trapped inside (this is a dense one acre garden). The solution here is an
electric fence, but being off grid, that's been difficult to do. This year
we strung trellis netting (white) above the regular fence to a height of 8
feet. So far that's keeping the deer out. For the bear, (and deer) we're
installing an electric fence designed by our scientist, Iuval, which runs on
a Kelvin generator which produces electric current by water drops falling at
a certain rate. Its also designed to irrigate a portion of the garden.
Amazingly it does hold a charge, even a bit stronger than a regular electric
fence!! I'll let you know how it does. If it works, we'll figure out a way
to make it available to others. We apparently have the first non electric
electric water fence.

D'Coda
www.volcommunity.org