livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Grass Fed Lamb

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Norma Sutton" <sweetspringfarm@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Grass Fed Lamb
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 06:16:08 -0400

I think so Paul.  The more modernized breeds of livestock are so genetically specific that they loose a lot of the qualities that the older types have.  I don't know if that if because so many of them are being bred for the show ring where a certain look is trying to be obtained with line breeding, etc or if it is because by breeding for certain traits is doing it.  The shetland sheep have a very appearance and fleece acceptance.  The Navajo angora's do as well.  The more modernized angoras are being bred for a certain look and fleece.  I think that when the breed is modernized they loose a lot of the "common" sense traits that our ancestors bred for.
Norma