livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Grass Fed Lamb

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Ryan VanderVeen" <ryanvanderveen@excite.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Grass Fed Lamb
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 14:46:26 -0400 (EDT)

I have a flock of Tamarack Sheep and am impressed with their ability to convert grass to meat.
It amazes me how it is possible to select animals (cows, sheep, chickens, etc.) that thrive on as little input as green grass, clean water and sunshine but most farmers want to sock the grain to them, build big, fancy barns on concrete and have the vet out every other week keeping them drugged up!
I'd sure like to hear more about this lady milking sheep, getting 3-1/2 pounds of milk on grass that Aliza wrote about!

Ryan

LOL - or if they would eat it it would be over cooked and mushy - no offence
to any uk members - I too noticed the incorrect comments about having to use
grains or other concentrates to produce lamb. My pastures are not that
great but my girls make me nearly two nice lambs a piece each year on
pasture only. I have about a 180% lamb crop annually without pushing the
ewes. They do get hay in the winter (third trimester and or/nursing ewes)
but other then that they do it all on the grass with suitable free choice
minerals. the trick is to use the right sheep. Currently I raise cormo and
cormo crosses (fine wool and meat dual purpose) but I have my eye on a flock
of tamarack sheep because they do it even better. I know a woman who
raises dairy sheep for cheese on grass only. She is averaging 3 1/2 pounds
a day of 23%milk and her lactation lengths are like 240 days. If you know
anything about dairy sheep that is amazing on grass.

Aliza

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com