livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] a little help from my friends ... / Growing potatoes in the compost pile

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: moabgail@frontiernet.net
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] a little help from my friends ... / Growing potatoes in the compost pile
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 16:30:00 +0000

Quoting TradingPostPaul <tradingpost@riseup.net>:

Three 50 foot rows, I'm envious. Really, the peels are too good for the
compost pile! I'm esp glad to hear the report about storing all winter.
So it's one of those varieties we seriously need to propagate and promote.
Let's make a note of that. I had in mind to make up a list of varieties of
various vegetables that are esp easy, nutritious, and good keepers. Maybe
that'll come together after all - with a little help from my friends ...

That is a good idea, Paul.

We're experimenting with an open pollinated variety of sweet corn this year.

Before my husband and I married he planted only Precocious. We live at 7800 feet in a mountainous climate so it was the only variety he could get to mature during our short growing season.

Last year we added Sugar Dots and it barely made it to harvest. The Precocious is the best eaten fresh from the garden. The Sugar Dots is the better of the two after being frozen.

The downside to both of them is that they're hybrids and we have to buy seed each year. We're hoping the open pollinated Ashworth will produce well and taste good both fresh and frozen. If it does we can save seed from the most vigorous plants and be done worrying about a seed supply for sweet corn.

Gail