livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Soil test results

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Soil test results
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 20:50:42 -0600

Ok. My point: a lot of people commonly expect to get a soil test and
shazam! Just add a bit of whatever the soil test says is lacking. I suspect
that notion sells a lot of soil tests. Yet the test doesn't tell us what
to do about it, not exactly. As you find - and I agree - it takes some
study and judgment calls. Joe Sixpack who picks up a home test kit on his
way out of Home Despot really needs to understand something about soil and
what makes healthy soil. And who knows, a test and advice from some
Extension agent may be helpful and may not.

I'd say learn all you can, trust your own judgment, and you'll come out
ahead.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net
The care of the Earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and after all
our most pleasing responsibility. To cherish what remains of it and to
foster its renewal is our only hope.
- Wendell Berry

The outstanding scientific discovery of the twentieth century is not
television, or radio, but rather the complexity of the land organism. Only
those who know the most about it can appreciate how little we know about
it.
- Aldo Leopold in Round River, 1933