livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Growing potatoes in the compost pile

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Laura McKenzie" <laurabrownmckenzie@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "Claudia & Linda" <dragonhill2@netzero.net>, "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Growing potatoes in the compost pile
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 09:31:01 -0500

Claudia, I'm such of a fan of hugelkulture. For us, this has been found to be the way to go. I'm going to revive poor beds this fall using the method. I also planted potatoes in one new hugelkulture bed and so far the plants are amazingly healthy considering the heat and lack of rain.

I've found that making pots of cardboard or paper and setting these down into the new hugelkulture beds and planting the pots with melons works well. Hugelkulture beds are a little challenging the first year if you want to plant more than potatoes down into them but the pots allow plants to get a foothold and as the bed degrades, the pots degrade allowing the roots of the plants to find more space.

Laura
Laura's Homeschooling, Garden, and Genealogy Site
is found here: http://home.att.net/~ekyorigins