livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Growing potatoes in the compost pile

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Growing potatoes in the compost pile
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 14:36:38 -0400

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 13:28:13 -0400, you wrote:

>See if you can get them to try one square foot gardening bed per person in
>their family. That takes very little time and can pretty much give each
>person a salad a day during the growing season.

I find that a lot of people (possibly otherwise unwilling to
garden) are willing to use container gardening. It's easy
and - if you do it right - it works very well indeed. It
seems to less intimidating for a lot of people too. (It
takes more water, though, unless you have self-watering
containers.)

My harvest today - bear in mind that serious harvest is
*just beginning* here: most gardeners here don't have ripe
tomatoes until AUGUST! (Hardly worth planting them in that
case).

I have the advantage of a hoophouse, and some of these items
were from the hoophouse. *All* were container-grown:

* four Glacier tomatoes (golf-ball sized; early variety)
from the hoophouse
* four small tomatoes from the Red Robin plants: I ate
these right away, they didn't get into the house. The
little Red Robins are growing outdoors.
* two creamy-yellow sweet peppers from Feherozon peppers, in
the hoophouse
* greenery (all growing outdoors in containers): Little
Leprechaun red romaine, Tennis Ball lettuce, sweet basil,
curly parsley, Italian parsley
* one small head of broccoli - a small variety called 'Small
Miracle', in the hoophouse

Not bad for one day's harvest. This will go on, very like
this, only better and more, until the first frost in October
sometime. I've been eating greens (chard, romaine, lettuce,
Asian greens) all grown in containers since March 25.

Pat

Dinner: salad, obviously. Stir-fried onions, garlic,
broccoli, sweet peppers, served over pasta or noodles.
Eating from the garden!

Pat
--
Gardening in northern Pennsylvania.

Eat local food, change the world for the better!