livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Growing potatoes in the compost pile

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: moabgail@frontiernet.net
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Growing potatoes in the compost pile
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 17:02:33 +0000

Quoting TradingPostPaul <tradingpost@riseup.net>:

Anyone growing Yukon Gold
http://www.milkranch.com/Potato/GardenData.aspx?Var=YG

or Yellow Finn
http://www.milkranch.com/Potato/GardenData.aspx?Var=YF

And what results? I know the Yukon Gold have such thin skin you don't
bother to peel, and they're so good you don't really have to butter.

We have three 50 foot rows of Yukon Gold going this year. Also a few scattered plants growing in the sweet corn from spuds we missed last fall when we harvested them.

The Yukon Gold is the only variety we plant. They store so well over the winter out in the south facing workshop we ate them all winter then used the remaining small potatoes to plant this years crop.

I never peel them but occasionally my husband does.

Gail