livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Master Gardeners. Was: Jerry Baker

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Patricia Ruggiero" <ruggierop@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'Healthy soil and sustainable growing'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Master Gardeners. Was: Jerry Baker
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:37:20 -0500

Same here in Virginia. While organic and sustainable concepts are kinda
sorta mentioned in the class textbook, there is no special unit on them.
Those who staff our Help Desk (I'm not among them) are inclined to answer
questions with reference to Virginia Tech publications on what fertilizers
to use and what pesticides to spray.

In our MG group I'm known as "The Organic Gardener," suggesting I might be
the only, and token, one. I have sensed a bit of hostility from the
Extension Agents toward some of my views, which might be paranoia on my part
or simply a response to my indifference to their suggestions; at any rate, I
find it better to identify myself, in my occasional gardening presentations
around the county, as an organic gardener rather than as a master gardener
so as not to raise the liability concerns the agents have.

Pat