labruscagrape - Re: [LabruscaGrape] Modifying "foxy" flavor

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: Paul Bulas <pabls@yahoo.com>
  • To: labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [LabruscaGrape] Modifying "foxy" flavor
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 14:32:58 -0500 (EST)

--- Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net> wrote: > Hello,
> Do you know what oak chips, or oak barrel aging does for
> labrusca?
>
> Tom

Now that's a good question. I don't have experience with
putting labrusca in oak, but my first thought is that it
probably wouldn't do much good for the wine. Ultimately, it
would depend on the primary aromas of the wine. Just taking
something like Concord into account, the strawberry/cotton-candy
aromas are so dominant to begin with that I doubt oak would make
for a harmonious addition.

But I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.

Paul