labruscagrape - Re: [LabruscaGrape] Diamond

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "dabrowski" <dabrowski@attbi.com>
  • To: <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [LabruscaGrape] Diamond
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 21:00:32 -0500

I don't know enough about Niagara to compare it to, but I do know that
Diamond was a descendant of Concord (by I think 2 generations).
Here in Candia NH, it grows VERY nicely!
In May 2001, I planted some vines that I got from Double A Vineyard.
I got a small crop from 30% of them 2002, and I would expect nearly all to
fruit this year, and close to full production in 2004. Just my guess, but
that's what I'm seeing - and I think that's darn good.
I was so pleased with their progress that I planted another 45 in May 2002.
However, their growth was severely stunted by the LONG drought here this
summer.

I would say that this is the winter of all winters to test how my stunted
Diamond's make it through the winter. If they make it through this winter
(10 days at -5 to -10 Fahrenheit) then we know this is a sturdy vine.

In making the wine, I found it to be VERY pungent. Foxy, whatever you call
it. And not like the wine I had in NY.
I'm guessing that I did something wrong?

By the way, I went to the Boston Wine Expo last Saturday.
And wouldn't you know it, I had some Champaign made from Diamond!
It was a bit on the "foxy" side, but even so I can only dream of making
something that good some day.
Ah, practice, practice..............