internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] AT&T is evil, reason number 53462

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Shea Tisdale" <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] AT&T is evil, reason number 53462
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 22:14:34 -0400

Depending on which definition you look at, I could see some arguments that
the two are slightly different, but the core of Net Neutrality is the
principle that the users should be in control of the content they have
access to, and not broadband carriers.

In this case, a large broadband carrier, AT&T, censored a portion of a
concert because it contained political speech. Now, they were also the
sponsors of the netcast and that probably gives them some "rights", but I
think that the fact that the sole provider of the netcast, unilaterally and
without announcement or explanation, decided to censor part of the show
because it contained political speech is where censorship and net neutrality
meet.

That's my take. Here is Pearl Jam's take:
http://www.pearljam.com/news/index.php?what=News

And here is another take:
http://www.savetheinternet.com/