internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] AT&T is evil, reason number 53462

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] AT&T is evil, reason number 53462
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 22:56:31 -0400

on Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 10:14:34PM -0400, Shea Tisdale wrote:
> Depending on which definition you look at, I could see some arguments
> that the two are slightly different, but the core of Net Neutrality is
> the principle that the users should be in control of the content they
> have access to, and not broadband carriers.

No, the core of Net Neutrality is that /nobody/ should be in control of
the packets that pass between networks, because there's no reason why
packet A should be delivered before packet B due to any reason other
than that packet A was requested first. Don't confuse your layers.

> In this case, a large broadband carrier, AT&T, censored a portion of a
> concert because it contained political speech.

Erm, no. Even AT&T has admitted that it was a mistake, and Pearl Jam has
suggested that the only line "censored" was the /second/ time the line
"George Bush leave this world alone" was /repeated/. But hey. I'm sure
that Pearl Jam has a lock on the truth of how screwed up this
administration is. Why, I'm sure they're ALONE in knowing this. All
those Economist, New Republic, Harper's, NYT, etc. articles criticizing
Bush must have been flukes. They must have gotten by the "censors".

Come on, have you looked at CHINA lately? ATT's not censorship, that's
incompetence. CHINA is censorship. But hey, if you'd rather help an
irrelevant rock band get attention, be my guest. But please, try not to
swallow the self-promotional bullshit whole. Chew it first.

Oh, yeah, and Ticketmaster - they're evil, too. Trust me - I heard it
from Pearl Jam. In 1994. How do you get Pearl Jam tickets nowadays?
Wow - via Ticketmaster.

Net Neutrality is a very serious issue. Pearl Jam is riding it, but it
ain't the real issue.

> Now, they were also the sponsors of the netcast and that probably
> gives them some "rights", but I think that the fact that the sole
> provider of the netcast, unilaterally and without announcement or
> explanation, decided to censor part of the show because it contained
> political speech is where censorship and net neutrality meet.

You're wrong.

> And here is another take:
> http://www.savetheinternet.com/

Whatever.