internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] AT&T is evil, reason number 53462

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Cheryl Smith" <jesuismoi AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] AT&T is evil, reason number 53462
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 10:05:47 -0400

Previous history w/ a collection agency leads me to this:
-Write your state attorney general as soon as possible
-When you do, point out in very clean logical terms that you were not
a party to the contract between the company and ATT.
-CC ATT, the bill collection agency, and the BBB, and the defunct
business owner (even if the mail is just going to come back to you).
-To the collection agency: send all mail registered
-Do not try and solve anything on the phone. The conversations are
too hard to prove and aren't as binding.
-Look up some of the websites on the Fair Debt Collection Act. Be
sure to use the language they reccommend. There are certain key
phrases that you will need to use.
-According to my ex Finance proff, who helped write said act, once
they have violated the FDCA, the debt becomes uncollectable. In my
case two years of letters failed to get that point home.

(An apartment put me in collection when the person who signed a lease
on my old apartment didn't move in. That's a problem with the
contract with that person, not me, but they tried to get her rent out
of ME. However, since a) they never bothered to contact me before
selling it to collection (a violation of the FDCA) and b)my last
check, which they had the option to not cash, had some language
specific to Texas indicating that all debts between us were free and
clear and c)they had a lease with someone else for those days, the
whole thing was bunk. The collection agency's proof (when demanded)
of the debt? A copy of my original lease. Collection agency didn't
care the debt was not mine. Just didn't care. I finally got them to
go away when they called my fiance's phone (which I had bought him)
and harassed him... and I reported that to my attorney general. They
aren't allowed to harass third parties about your "debt" like that.)

Next time anything like this (god forbid) happens to me, I'm going
straight to the Attorney General.

Good luck!

-Cheryl