internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Brazilian String Bikinis - OT?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: jason Tower <jtower AT cerient.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Brazilian String Bikinis - OT?
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 11:28:13 -0400

zman wrote:
On Tue, 5 Jun 2007, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
In a civilized society what is done on a public or commercial square is
not always a matter of market. There are civil crimes such as public
defecation, assualt against a person, noise regulations, pollution
rules, etc.

-Andy

Does a civilized society decide what is done in a private business? This one does. As a non-smoker I'm torn on the subject. But as a bar owner I think it should be my decision.

i'm not a bar or restaurant owner, but aren't there other regulatory items that you as a private business still need to comply with (fire codes, food preparation, bathrooms, emergency exits, etc)? i agree that smoking in bars is something of an old tradition that perhaps shouldn't be regulated away, but just because it's a private enterprise doesn't mean you have carte blanche to do anything you want.