internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Loose Change vs. Popular Mechanics

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Loose Change vs. Popular Mechanics
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:49:51 -0500

On Dec 12, 2006, at 1:20 PM, Steven Champeon wrote:

(FWIW, I'd get your rDNS changed to 'mail.webperformance.com'; having
generic rDNS in this day of multi-tens-of-million host botnets is a kiss
of death from distrustful admins.) The RFC 1918 HELO can be a bad sign;
not enough to block on unless it's direct-to-MX (as your isn't). The
generic rDNS on your midsouth.biz.rr.com IP is also questionable - yeah,
it's static, but so are a lot of other compromised Windows boxes' IPs.

Thanks for taking the time to help. You wouldn't have any pointers on how to configure the rDNS would you? I'm using GoDaddy's DNS configs, and they don't mention how to configure the rDNS part. Are you talking about changing the MX record to point to mail.webperformance.com? I noticed that it was pointing to webperformance.com, but anyway, that's the only thing that made sense from a cursory look at the configs.

Thanks,

Michael