internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Loose Change vs. Popular Mechanics

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Loose Change vs. Popular Mechanics
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 22:09:49 -0500

on Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 09:57:35PM -0500, Steven Champeon wrote:
> on Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 09:49:51PM -0500, Michael Czeiszperger wrote:
> > Thanks for taking the time to help. You wouldn't have any pointers
> > on how to configure the rDNS would you? I'm using GoDaddy's DNS
> > configs, and they don't mention how to configure the rDNS part. Are
> > you talking about changing the MX record to point to
> > mail.webperformance.com? I noticed that it was pointing to
> > webperformance.com, but anyway, that's the only thing that made sense
> > from a cursory look at the configs.
>
> Look for "PTR" - it's usually one of either PTR or "reverse DNS".

Oh, and the IP I'm talking about is the IP from which your mail is
relayed, eg 204-16-138-5.celito.net [204.16.138.5]. Don't muck with
your MX record, that's should be a hostname, e.g. webperformance.com
NOT an IP. What you're changing is the record returned when someone
(or some software) looks up the IP that's connecting to remote servers
to deliver your mail. They'll look it up, and the more it looks like
a mailserver (PTR, HELO, etc.) the better off you are.

--
hesketh.com/inc. v: +1(919)834-2552 f: +1(919)834-2553 w: http://hesketh.com/
antispam news, solutions for sendmail, exim, postfix: http://enemieslist.com/