internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Loose Change vs. Popular Mechanics

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: zman <zman AT shell.neverwhere.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Loose Change vs. Popular Mechanics
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:43:52 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, Steven Champeon wrote:
Scott, there's a difference between host->IP mapping and IP->PTR
mapping. No, there's nothing wrong with the former, but seeing multiples
on the latter is very rare. I've only seen it (after looking at thousands
of IPs over the last three years or more) on a few Mexican ISPs and very
rarely outside of that.

Yes there is... maybe you should look at the blocks the ISP's and hosting companies are using and not just a block of IP's. We had already been doing it at NewSouth before I left there, and I'm sure they're still doing it with whatever their name is now. After going through an adress migration with ARIN there was no way that we could give each domain an individual IP. I'm not saying it's prevalent, but I wouldn't consider it rare by any means.

No, it's very rare. Trust me. Or, pick any random set of IPs large enough
to satisfy your curiousity and look at their PTRs.

Don't look through ServerBeach or RackSpace, you'll ruin your theory...

Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com
http://www.rod-o-rama.com
http://www.thehellbenders.com
1960 International B100
1923 Buick Roadster (Dual Quad 425" Nailhead) 1990 Ducati 750 Sport