internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Loose Change vs. Popular Mechanics

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Loose Change vs. Popular Mechanics
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:19:56 -0500

on Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 09:25:16AM -0500, zman wrote:

> Not at all, there are plenty of domains that are on the same IP, way
> more than you would think. ARIN has gotten really hard to get IP space
> from and now a lot of ISP's and hosting companies will serve the
> multiple domains from the same IP, there is absolutely nothing wrong
> with this at all.... no to mention the fact that most business' have
> multiple doamins for the same business...

Scott, there's a difference between host->IP mapping and IP->PTR
mapping. No, there's nothing wrong with the former, but seeing multiples
on the latter is very rare. I've only seen it (after looking at thousands
of IPs over the last three years or more) on a few Mexican ISPs and very
rarely outside of that.

> >> There's nothing wrong with a single IP having multiple PTRs, though it
> >> is rare to see it.
>
> not so much... look again...

No, it's very rare. Trust me. Or, pick any random set of IPs large enough
to satisfy your curiousity and look at their PTRs.

--
hesketh.com/inc. v: +1(919)834-2552 f: +1(919)834-2553 w: http://hesketh.com/
antispam news, solutions for sendmail, exim, postfix: http://enemieslist.com/