internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Loose Change vs. Popular Mechanics

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Loose Change vs. Popular Mechanics
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:20:29 -0500

on Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 01:08:23PM -0500, Michael Czeiszperger wrote:

> On Dec 12, 2006, at 12:49 PM, Steven Champeon wrote:
>
> > Do you always send out through securesites.net? I know I likely
> > wouldn't
> > accept mail sent directly from your host, with its generic rDNS and
> > RFC
> > 1918 bracketed IP HELO, but that's likely just your local node and if
> > you're using a smarthost or securesites.net's MTAs, I dunno why anyone
> > would be grading your mail as spam.
>
> What? And here I thought my mail was going through postfix running
> on webperformance.com.

This email did:

by mail.webperformance.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 3972D90650
for <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>;
Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:08:26 -0500 (EST)

(FWIW, I'd get your rDNS changed to 'mail.webperformance.com'; having
generic rDNS in this day of multi-tens-of-million host botnets is a kiss
of death from distrustful admins.) The RFC 1918 HELO can be a bad sign;
not enough to block on unless it's direct-to-MX (as your isn't). The
generic rDNS on your midsouth.biz.rr.com IP is also questionable - yeah,
it's static, but so are a lot of other compromised Windows boxes' IPs.

Still, it probably wouldn't be enough for /me/ to block your mail, but
my local policy isn't as tight as some.

The previous message from you in my inw mailbox, though:

by lists.ibiblio.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id B5FF24C008
for <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>;
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 08:50:47 -0400 (EDT)

...was from some time ago, apparently. Don't mind me. I'm having a
rough day. :-(

--
hesketh.com/inc. v: +1(919)834-2552 f: +1(919)834-2553 w: http://hesketh.com/
antispam news, solutions for sendmail, exim, postfix: http://enemieslist.com/