internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Loose Change vs. Popular Mechanics

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Loose Change vs. Popular Mechanics
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 08:58:35 -0500

On Dec 13, 2006, at 8:43 AM, Steven Champeon wrote:

on Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 08:32:47AM -0500, Michael Czeiszperger wrote:

On Dec 12, 2006, at 10:09 PM, Steven Champeon wrote:

Oh, and the IP I'm talking about is the IP from which your mail is
relayed, eg 204-16-138-5.celito.net [204.16.138.5].

How does that work if there's multiple domains being hosted from the
same machine, all from the same IP address? I'm assuming that the
single IP address is only going to resolve to a single domain name,
meaning the rest of the domains are out of luck?

There's nothing wrong with a single IP having multiple PTRs, though it
is rare to see it. But seriously, now, does email matter enough to you
that you're willing to share your single point of contact with the rest
of the world with a large bunch of unknowns?

I'm currently using the same machine to host a couple of different of my own domains, simply because its easier to set up multiple domains on a single computer than it is to set up multiple computers. For example, learningtosee.org and czeiszperger.org don't get much traffic, so it didn't make sense to give them separate computers. I suppose that they could have been set up with virtual IP addresses...

I used to read, but its faster to just make up stuff. -- Wally
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC