internetworkers - [internetworkers] Firefox + Mac slow DNS lookups

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tony Spencer <tony AT tonyspencer.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Firefox + Mac slow DNS lookups
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:36:30 -0500

This has been giving me trouble for a while now and I hope someone else
has encountered it and found a solution.

VERY often now I click on a link to any random site and the status bar
at the bottom of Firefox shows "Looking up www.somesite.com..." and
often takes so long that I get the Firefox time out page "Firefox can't
find the server at www.somesite.com." Now this part is consistent 100%
of the time: I immediately click the "Try Again" button on that timeout
page and the domain look up happens in a fraction of a second and I'm
immediately loading that page.

I am already using DNS servers other than ones my ISP provides and I've tried several different ones with no improvement. I really think its some sort of Firefox issue as I never experience this slowness when executing dig, ping, or connecting to sites from code.

I don't know if this is just a Mac + Firefox issue but I'm on Mac.

Anybody else?

Tony

  • [internetworkers] Firefox + Mac slow DNS lookups, Tony Spencer, 12/12/2006