internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] multiple language website?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Greg Brown <gwbrown1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] multiple language website?
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:22:02 -0500

Use a professional translating service and make the web site content
dynamic, making a copy of the site for each translated language is a
maintenance nightmare. If you want the language in the url, you could
use mod_rewrite to translate www.domain.org/fr/index.htm to
www.domain.org/index.htm?lang=fr.

A friend of mine owns a translation service here in the triangle, their
web site is www.dtstrans.com. You can contact his partner for more
detail - dshaw at dtstrans.com

Craig Duncan
---

++1 on professional translation.  All things considered the cost is not that high to translate text vs. having the foreign version of "Engrish" on your website.  Case in point I used on-line translators to pre-translate some text before a trip to Korea some years ago.  I created quite a funny scene when, upon entering my first solo cab ride, I merrily stated "Fear my mighty washcloth" to the cab driver who busted out in laughter saying "What are you talking about?" in near perfect English.  Oh well.

If you want to see just how strange some translations can get using automatic translators take some standard English text, well know stuff, The Preamble of the Constitution is my favorite, and translate it into the foreign language of your choice.  Then copy and paste the translation and translate it back into English using the same translator.  What comes back is usually quite funny!

Greg