internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] multiple language website?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "jeremy snyder" <halffinn AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] multiple language website?
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 15:34:33 -0500

I worked for years at a localization software company called TRADOS. TRADOS
had a product designed to support multilingual content management, as do
many others. But these are expensive products, mostly aimed at very large
companies (fortune 1000). Most people of smaller scale do something like
"manual" content management by just mirroring directory trees. Inevitably,
though, some content falls out of sync. I think a good way to look at it,
though, is not that all content has to be available in all languages, but
rather that each language site caters to a certain clientele, and you should
publish content to the various sites only insofar as it is relevant to that
audience.

By the way, for disclosure purposes, I used to work at DTS, as did a couple
others on this list. ;-)

Thanks,
Jeremy