internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] multiple language website?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Márcia <marcia AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] multiple language website?
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 19:23:08 -0500

I'd say automatic translation never works right. If you want your website to truly cater to users of a different language, then you need to manually and professionally translate all your content. And please don't say "click here for French version" in English! Use the corresponding idiom to describe the language links. ;-)

Michael Czeiszperger wrote:

Hey, I've actually got an "internet/web" question. What are people doing for multiple language support? Is there some sort of automatic translation that works, or do you have to basically mirror the entire site and translate everything by hand?

"We are all capable of believing things which we know to be untrue, and then, when we are finally proved wrong, impudently twisting the facts so as to show that we were right. Intellectually, it is possible to carry on this process for an indefinite time: The only check on it is that sooner or later a false belief bumps up against solid reality, usually on a battlefield."
-- G. Orwell

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/