internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Need Help Troubleshooting HTML Page

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott <catfather AT donpoo.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Need Help Troubleshooting HTML Page
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 22:42:21 -0500

A few more comments (pun intended) on this subject ...

On Dec 12, 2005, at 10:54 AM, Steven Champeon wrote:
on Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 01:31:34AM -0500, Scott wrote:
About comment tags, from memory:

<!-- this is valid, notice the spaces -->
<!--------this isn't valid as it's missing the space after the open
tag and before the closing tag--------->

Nah, it's got nothing to do with the spaces.

eh? I thought a properly formed xhtml comment was <!-- blah --> where as the space was
required after the double dashes in the opening and prior to the double dashes in the closing. (Let it be known that the words "I thought" should be read as "I'm to lazy to go look up the xhtml spec right now")

SGML comments are actually
delimited by "--", the <!> is just a "null tag" - no element identifier -
and HTML comments are the same way, but to varying degrees of strictness
depending on what browser you're dealing with. In SGML,

To varying degrees of strictness is an understatement. Without making any comments (I'm killing myself!) on the correctness of the authors interpretation of the xhtml spec, check out http:// www.howtocreate.co.uk/SGMLComments.html which has a whole mess of various browser tests for well formed and no so well formed xhtml comments. A quick check of Firefox 1.5 and Safari 2.0.2 shows some significant differences in the rendering.

--
Scott <catfather AT donpoo.net>
AIM: BlueCame1