internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Need Help Troubleshooting HTML Page

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott <catfather AT donpoo.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Need Help Troubleshooting HTML Page
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 01:31:34 -0500

The w3c.org validator tends to agree that it's not valid xhtml transitional which is what the doctype for the page defines the mark up as. There are lots of warnings about invalid comment tags and at first glance they seem harmless but I seem to recall Gecko browsers, including Netscape, having some issues from time to time with improperly formed HTML comments.

Cleaning up the obvious comment markup errors would be my first suggestion. MSIE tends to be way more forgiving about bad markup which is why I find doing initial testing in Firefox much more productive and then doing a final clean up in MSIE as needed.

About comment tags, from memory:

<!-- this is valid, notice the spaces -->
<!--------this isn't valid as it's missing the space after the open tag and before the closing tag--------->

Hope it helps.

--
Scott <catfather AT donpoo.net>