internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Need Help Troubleshooting HTML Page

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Need Help Troubleshooting HTML Page
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:54:48 -0500

on Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 01:31:34AM -0500, Scott wrote:
> About comment tags, from memory:
>
> <!-- this is valid, notice the spaces -->
> <!--------this isn't valid as it's missing the space after the open
> tag and before the closing tag--------->

Nah, it's got nothing to do with the spaces. SGML comments are actually
delimited by "--", the <!> is just a "null tag" - no element identifier -
and HTML comments are the same way, but to varying degrees of strictness
depending on what browser you're dealing with. In SGML,

--
this is a comment
--

but in HTML, you need comment delimiters on each line, enclosed in null
tags, a la

<!-- this is -->
<!-- a comment -->

In general, I find that when the W3C/WDG validators tell me something is
horribly wrong with my markup, I try to fix it before even asking for
help with anything else. :) YMMV. You're missing a pile of required
attributes as well - e.g., "script" needs a "type".

Steve

antispam news, solutions for sendmail, exim, postfix: http://enemieslist.com/