internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] how can I id a user?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Shea Tisdale" <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] how can I id a user?
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:35:52 -0400

I tend to agree with the sentiments expressed here about collecting
information from the users computer...not a "visitor friendly" thing to do.

However determining unique visitors is a whole other proposition...

Cookies should suffice for this purpose.

The more complicated part is using a system on the back end to create unique
cookies and then track them over time...this would require a database of
some type...

There are also plenty of services that do this for you for very little cost.
Google "Track Unique Visitors" or "Website Tracking".

Many website log analysis and stats tools include the ability to use cookies
for this purpose. See WebTrends and similar.

- Shea Tisdale