internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] mac non use

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] mac non use
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:50:34 -0500 (EST)

http://www.jacsoft.co.nz/Tech_Notes/Mac_Keys.shtml

Except at Matusiak's house, I haven't used OS X, so I can't speak for it,
but...

+ on Ctrl-Alt-Del:
well, as far back as I can remember, Macs have always had a key combo for
just such a thing. granted, it didn't give you a dialogue window to
choose which program to kill; it simply killed the active/most recent
program:
Cmd-Opt-Esc

+ on [Cntrl-Alt-Del]*2:
and Macs have always had a key combo for shutdown/reboot, too:
Ctrl-Cmd-Pwr / Ctrl-Cmd-Opt-Pwr

+ on 2nd mouse button:
why? I'm a fan of simplicity, less is more. besides, Mac has always had
that, too, just without the extra button -- hold down the mouse button for
more than a second or two and a dialogue box springs up. duh.
I will admit, though, that I'm a big fan of the scrollwheel.

+ on the command line:
This wasn't mentioned in the thread, but I thought I'd bring it up.
http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1061.html
Macs have long had a built-in command line interface; but it was meant
only for developers or ubergeeks, not as a regular interface. Cmd-Opt-O-F
would open an Open Firmware user interface utilizing Forth, the Open
Firmware language; it's meant for tweaking the system.
Funny story: long before I knew about Open Firmware or even much about
Unix, and long after I'd grown accustomed to the GUI, I accidentally
pressed Cmd-Opt-O-F. My reaction was something akin to "Oh shit! what the
hell have I done?"

-Alan