internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Bush's bulge bothers bloggers (and others)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Don Rua" <rua AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Bush's bulge bothers bloggers (and others)
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 04:12:42 -0400

Sorry, but I just had to get this shot in after seeing the latest
conspiracytheory as reported by Salon:

I hear the left constantly complaining about Fox as a news source, but all
across the web I see the left citing Salon as a source with regularity. Does
anyone look in the mirror?

"The man behind Salon.com's aggressive new Washington bureau is Blumenthal,
a former Washington Post reporter who went to work as a senior aide to
Clinton. Fenton Communications, the public relations firm that has liberal
activist group MoveOn.org as a client, is working on behalf of Salon.com."

--Politics is the lifeblood of Salon's coverage."We're a progressive, smart
tabloid," founder Talbot said. "We offer a populist, entertaining,
shamelessly liberal voice that stands up for the common person."

Do you realize how funny that sounds? "a shamelessly liberal voice standing
up for the common person."

Salon makes the exact same mistake that Apple made, and those who like to
call Bush arrogant should take notice: Apple proclaimed it was building the
home computer "for the people". "Let IBM make machines for those big
businesses; Apple is for the people."

"Have you seen our terrific 1984 commercial? We're a revolution.
Only....um...we make them high end, for the techies. And we style them to
please the NY ad agencies. And we don't share our secrets knowingly. And we
promote them as the top end, the elitist's machine, for the designers and
graphic artists of the world. We're for people who know more about beauty
and culture than the common man." This isn't Joe lunchbucket's machine. This
isn't for some stupid plumber, farmer, or construction worker. Hell, those
plebes deserve trash like Microsoft. They are too boring to even make use of
a fine machine like the Apple. (Background: I was both a democrat, and
contributor for the South Tampa Apple Group, in the early 80's. Year's
later, Apple's marketing error was pointed out to me by the president of
Garage, Guy Kawasaki's right hand man. Apple has learned this lesson a bit,
but I wouldn't doubt that there's a high correlation between Salon readers
and Mac lovers still,.)

The brutal truth that Jobs finally had to admit is that MS made products for
the common people. Kazillions of them. They were cheap, but also practical.
They weren't perfect by a long stretch, but MS would match that hurdle with
a willingness to listen to customers and crank out releases with a
vengeance. They were building an empire turning customer requests and
complaints into new features, while Apple was trying to dictate that great
computers come from the personal inspiration and genious of their employees.
Heck, maybe so, but they didn't know the common people; didn't even seem to
care about them, or they wouldn't have had their asses handed to them so
definitively. I think Salon, Kerry, and the democratic party needs to make
sure they have not lost touch with the common people, because the common
people will hear the Fox bashing and ask "Are you not the same creature as
Fox, Mr. Talbot? Are you not as arrogant as Bush, Mr. Kerry"?

Don
Ask why.

-----