internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Editorial vs. News as it applies to Fox News

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: James Dasher <jdasher AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Editorial vs. News as it applies to Fox News
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:01:00 -0400

On Oct 8, 2004, at 11:04 AM, matusiak wrote:

On Oct 8, 2004, at 6:46 AM, James Dasher wrote:

That assumes that everyone everywhere will always stridently lie. But a few bald-faced lies? They generally get uncovered. Then people make up their own minds.

This media bias discussion is getting tired to the Nth degree, but I had to counter this fallacy.

If these people are all making up their own minds, then why does 1/3 of the country still believe that Saddam and Iraq toppled the WTC? Is this simply their own personal version of The Truth? (as you note there is no monopoly on "The Truth").

My point was that people make up their own minds. Mr. Zimmerman replied to the CNN bit, saying he "went and read his statement, and it sounded more like someone who felt forced to conceal information for the sake of protecting sources or to prevent further harm from coming to an employee. That may be a limited reading or only the "intended takeaway", but on the whole I find it disagreeable but not something to indict him for."

That's Mr. Zimmerman's analysis and interpretation. Not everyone agrees. The point is that people have alternatives. That Mr. Zimmerman can make up his own mind, in spite of contrary interpretations. That his choices aren't stifled by people who disagree with his sources, and that he's free to choose which sources he trusts.

I think it's kind of funny that people get so revved up over Fox News. I think it's kind of weird that people blame Fox News for all the misinformation under the sun.

I say this as a consumer of (possibly unhealthy levels of) information from all varieties of outlets in all media, from Fox News to IndyMedia.

On this we can agree, though: this thread is tiring "to the Nth degree".

Cheers --

--
James Dasher
misterdasher dot com