internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] fahrenheit911, at a theater near you!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Lyman Green" <daerid AT io.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] fahrenheit911, at a theater near you!
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:46:14 -0400

> Spurlock showed the children several portraits. Not just Jesus and
> Ronald McDonald but also Georg Washington and I think some others. I
> don't recall any of the kids knowing who Washington was, although of
> course we don't know how many kids were actually shown the photos, &
> whether any of the ones who didn't end up in the film did recognize the
> first president.
Yup.
The only one that ALL the kids shown got was Ronald McDonald. One kid got
George Washington. One kid guessed that the picture of Jesus was George
Bush. Spurlock thought THAT was funny. :-)
Only one kid got "Wendy" from the Wendy's sign.

There's obviously a lot to be asked about how that whole thing was setup.
Nevertheless, I think it says something about the tv and advertising culture
our kids live in (in general, I recognize there are alternatives - I grew up
personally without TV but I didn't know any other kids like me)

Lyman