internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] fahrenheit911, at a theater near you!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Simon Spero <ses AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] fahrenheit911, at a theater near you!
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:06:39 -0400

Shea Tisdale wrote:

Do you have any links on SuperSizeme being a con?

Jacob Sullum has a review of the movie in the July issue of Reason; it's not up on the web site yet. He knocks some pretty big holes in Spurlock's case, but rates the movie as pretty good entertainment ( much better than "Solaris", but not quite as good as "Mean Girls"). He claims that's not just because he's in a bit of it.

Sullum's main points are (1) If you don't exercise and eat 5000 calories a day, you're going to turn into a wobble-bottom and (2) It's kind of hard to claim that fast food is literally addictive when he has to force himself to eat it ("When it's all over, he says with relief, 'I can't believe that today I'm going to get up and not have to eat at McDonald's'").

Super Size Me isn't so much a con as a 96 minutes reiteration of the laws of thermodynamics.