internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] fahrenheit911, at a theater near you!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] fahrenheit911, at a theater near you!
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:57:54 -0400

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 15:31, Lyman Green wrote:
> There's a humorous moment where 1st graders in Worcester, MA
> schools can't identify a fairly traditional looking picture of Jesus but
> every one got Ronald McDonald correct. Sure, there's no way to know how
> manipulated that scene was by Spurlock, but frankly, again I wasn't
> surprised.

Was the percentage that could identify Jesus correlated with the
percentage that are Christians? This is a silly comparison. There's no
reason the Jews, Muslims, atheists, agnostics, etc, in the room would
have any idea how to recognize the traditional portrayal of Jesus.

Yet Ronald McDonald is an American figure that most Americans are
exposed to (unlike artistic portrayals of a specific religious figure).
What would have been more telling would be to compare it to a picture of
George Washington, or perhaps the current President of the US.

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer jeremyp AT pobox.com trilug.org/~jeremy |
| GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |