internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] The Passionate Maker of The Passion of The Christ

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Diana Duncan <dianaduncan AT contentdb.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] The Passionate Maker of The Passion of The Christ
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:33:35 -0500

On Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004, at 13:18 US/Eastern, Sil Greene wrote:

So, a show of hands. Who here (aside from Matusiak) is planning to go see
this movie?

Not I. I can't handle violence like I used to be able to. It has something to do with being a mother now, I guess. Mel can lay it on thick, too -- "Braveheart" had some of the most graphic war scenes I've ever seen.

I even skipped "Kill Bill", and "Pulp Fiction" was one of the funniest movies ever, IMO. I remember laughing out loud in the theater while the other patrons looked at me oddly, thinking, I'm sure, "Who is that loon?".

On the "I don't understand the thinking here" front (boy, I seem to be spending a lot of time there lately) - why should the story incite anti-Semitism? Even if a few Jews had a hand in the demise of Jesus, why blame current Jews for it? As I see it:

1) Jesus was Jewish himself,
2) do people hate current Aryans for their crimes, or the English for that matter, or pretty much any other "race"?
3) wasn't crucifixion the point? If Jesus weren't made to suffer "for our sins", then he wouldn't have been doing his job, right?

Anyhoo, just me being confused by the irrationalities of religion, again.

Diana