internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] The Passionate Maker of The Passion of The Christ

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "James Z. Godwin" <jzgodwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] The Passionate Maker of The Passion of The Christ
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:48:50 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, David R.Matusiak wrote:

> From a purely editorial POV, where did that extra "The" come from in
> the title? Wouldn't it be "The Passion of Christ" instead of "The
> Passion of The Christ"??

I strongly suspect that it's a direct translation from the Greek -
"Christ" was an appellation rather than a name, and Greek articles tend to
get dropped and create ambiguity when translated into English. I don't
think I'll be able to see the movie just because the Roman soldiers all
speak Ecclesiastical Latin (I heard the clip on NPR of Pontius Pilate
screaming "Ecchi Uomo!" and it made me cringe). I applaud Gibson for the
literal translation of the title, though.

James