internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] email service suggestions?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Rowland Smith <rowland AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] email service suggestions?
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:57:02 -0500

Lee, thanks for the info. GoDaddy looks pretty good. I didn't know domain names were so cheap now.

Thanks,
Rowland

Lee Haslup wrote:
Rowland Smith wrote:

I'm looking for a permanent email service - something inexpensive that I can use regardless of my ISP. Any suggestions?

Rowland,

The easiest, cheapest and most straightforward way to do it is to register your own domain name. You could, for instance, register "rowlandsmith.com" (currently available, I checked) for about $8.00 a year. That would give you control of any email address that ends with " AT rowlandsmith.com". Almost all of the companies that register domains will offer email forwarding for the domain. Email forwarding is easy to use. You just log in to the management website for your domain and put your ISP-based email address in a table. If you change ISPs, just go to the management site again and put in the new address. One well-regarded company for registering domain names is GoDaddy.com. The offer a $10.00/year add-on that gives you spam filtering at their end and web mail (which is useful if you ever travel w/o your computer.) The extra $10 is probably a good investment since "permanent" email addresses tend to accumulate spam (because they present a sitting target, not because being permanent makes them more susceptible.)

None of this is hard to do. Any number of people on the list will be glad to help (myself included) but it is easy enough to do that anyone who knows the word "ISP" can do it him/herself.

BigLee