internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] PART 2: history lesson

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] PART 2: history lesson
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:07:04 -0400

Back in 1987/88 I spent a year in Berlin as an exchange student. Towards
the end of my time there, the study abroad office organized a social
gathering for the exchange students which I decided to attend. A day or
two before that gathering, there was another **event** that I'm sure
will not be mentioned in any history class in this country. The USS
Vincennes, a US Navy Cruiser on patrol in the Straits of Hormuz
accidentally misidentified an Iranian Airbus A300 (wide-body civil
airliner) as a hostile F14 fighter jet and shot it down, killing all 290
people on board. Whoopsie! Sorry 'bout dat! When I got to that social
event, it turns out that I was the only American there, and most other
students were Middle Easterners who were **very** upset. I left again as
quickly as I could. IIRC, the officer responsible for that didn't get
too much more than a slap on the wrist.

- Bill