internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] PART 2: history lesson

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] PART 2: history lesson
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:35:10 -0400 (EDT)

Steven Champeon said:
> Is there any part of Latin America or the Caribbean we /haven't/ invaded
>at one point or another, in one form or another? Sure, maybe Costa Rica.
>But I think the US has has a hand in setting policy and determining local
>governance in the region for over a hundred and fifty years or more;
>little chunk of paper called the Monroe Doctrine, no?

re-post:
History of US Interventions in Latin America:
http://www2.truman.edu/~marc/resources/interventions.html

Yeah, our commendable history: Manifest Destiny, the Trail of Tears, the
Monroe Doctrine, the "Axis of Evil", ... The Monroe Doctrine has been
expanded, of course, to include the Middle East, Africa, SE and Pacific
Asia, ... oh, just about everywhere except Antarctica.

The problem, to echo Bill and Shea's sentiments, is that people forget or
never know in the first place. Like the old saying, those who do not
learn from history are doomed to repeat it. I'm not certain who
originally expressed that, but I found this interesting juxtaposition of
attributions:

"A nation that forgets its past is doomed to repeat it."
-- Sir Winston Churchill

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."
-- Sir Winston Churchill

-Alan