internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] PART 2: history lesson

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] PART 2: history lesson
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:50:05 -0400

on Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 09:43:17AM -0400, Sil Greene wrote:
> .:as well as other random world events such as the murder of the Israeli
> .:team at the 1972 Olympics
>
> *THAT* doesn't ring any bells, and it sounds like it *really* *really*
> *should*.

Otherwise known as "the Munich Massacre". You've probably heard of it
as a geographical, rather than time-based, reference. Something to do
with Palestinians, as I recall, who believed that by murdering Israeli
athletes they could draw the world's attention to the fact that they
were terrorists. Beyond that, I'm not sure what the point was.

> Most people my age would remember the Challenger explosion but maybe
> not Libya, Beirut, and all the other Middle Eastern fun during the
> early 80's. Who remembers the Yom Kippur War? The assassination of
> Anwar Saddat?

I do - I saw it on the teevee. I also got in trouble in my French class
for pointing out that Jefferson had stopped the Barbary Pirates two
hundred years before by refusing to put up with their crap, and so the
attack on Libya was just fine. Didn't win me any points with my French
teacher, let me tell you.

> Surely no one has forgotten the hijacking of Pan Am Flight-whatever ...
> you know, the one they made that tv-movie of?

PanAm 103. Over Lockerbie, Scotland, also by Libyans. It was full of
Syracuse University students headed to England for a study abroad
program, and I was a freshman. Two Italian girls on our dorm floor were
hysterical; they'd lived through the attacks on the airport in Rome, and
so it hit home for them. It was a very bad day all around; I had friends
who knew people on board, though I didn't know anyone - but it left its
mark on the University. There is now a "Hall of Remembrance" or some
such at SU, where there used to simply be some steps leading up to the
Hall of Languages, where I spent three years trying to learn something
about philosophy and religion. Now it is a constant reminder, like the
red lights at a railroad crossing.

Steve

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier