internetworkers - [internetworkers] Pop culture was PART 2: history lesson

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Diana Duncan <art2mis AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Pop culture was PART 2: history lesson
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:32:03 -0400

On Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003, at 11:14 US/Eastern, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
On this theme, I'm not sure it's just world events that the younger
generation doesn't know about. A friend of mine and I were in a
bike store a few weeks ago looking at stuff and the song "More Than a
Feeling" came on. I asked him if he could name the band and he got
this blank look on his face. Ok, I thought to myself, I'll just tell him.

I don't know whether to be ashamed or proud of the fact that I 1) could name both bands immediately with no thought required and 2) started singing the song, and still can't get it out of my head. And yes, I do remember many of the lyrics.

Jeremy also mentioned the bad music of our era. I'd like to posit that every era has bad music, art, theatre, writing, etc., and that only the strong survives. Current classical music repertoires do not include Salieri, for instance.

There is also lots of great stuff out there right now that never gets the exposure required to become part of pop culture. And nowadays pop culture has become so departmentalized that it's difficult to know much about more that one or two genres. I'm more worried about how little I know about what's going on right now than I am about how little younger people know about culture from when I was in my teens. :)

Diana