internetworkers - [internetworkers] PART 2: history lesson

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] PART 2: history lesson
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:12:14 -0400 (EDT)

okay, part 2 is really for my own benefit, I guess. The thing is, until
earlier today, I had no idea the US had ever invaded the Dominican
Republic. Either it was never mentioned to me or I was asleep during that
lecture; both theories are plausible and probable. Anyone care to guide
me toward either "they erased it from history" or "dude, you were asleep"?

While researching another subject -- I forget what now -- I came across
the phrase "in 1965, when the US invaded Vietnam and the Dominican
Republic".

Eh?

but, Lo!, a Web search for "US invasion 'Dominican Republic' 1965" returns
pages and pages of results.

...so which is it? Is this common knowledge and I'm an idiot because I
fell asleep that day in class? Or is this yet another instance of
"selective history"?

-AM