internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] low end web site authoring tools

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Joey Carr <joey AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] low end web site authoring tools
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 19:16:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, David R. Matusiak wrote:

> i highly recommend coding all of your pages with vi or BBEdit. this
> way, you can maintain the highest level of precision control over ever
> page in your kingdom. not to mention the added side benefit of having
> people fear you at parties.

I have to admit to being one of those freaks that does it all with Emacs
and a shell window. I started out using Netscape Composer back in the
day, but since it had no capability of doing anything with JavaScript I
gave it up and started doing things by hand. I think I was still using
pico at that point. I sit down with a WYSIWYG and don't know where to
begin. The great advantage that I feel I've gotten from this is that when
I sit down to do HTML code generation in CGI I'm not lost without my
WYSIWYG. But it definately limits my design sensibility. And I've found
that I'm likely to find myself explaining Tim Berners-Lee and the role of
the W3C to panicked strangers.

-Joey